The Eternal Hunt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody Need a Gun? [Open]

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody Need a Gun? [Open] Empty Anybody Need a Gun? [Open]

Post by Best Girl Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:25 pm

"Alright, you guys get the hell outta here before you scare someone off." An eye-patch wearing woman waved her hand dismissively at a number of men and women armed with firearms, dressed with straps to hold weapons and ammo but also light clothing as they relaxed. Kugel Holle, the woman revered as the super mercenary who downed large dragon by herself via no special bullets or unique property attacks, found herself at the end of a time with co-workers all enjoying drinks and relaxation at her office. It was a bit of a janky place, messy and not the most well-furnished with some decent couches and chairs. People had to deal with wooden floors, but got the luxury of a big television they and herself can watch, along with a jukebox crafted by her technology-loving hands for some music. Her desk was a bit of a mess too, papers haphazardly lying about and a computer at the side. It was good enough for a homely environment to sleep in or chill out, which is what she did judging by the very casual tank top she sported. A steady flow of perfectly cool air conditioning only helped the cause.

"Whew... Had maybe one too many with those guys." The gun-for-hire chuckled, shaking her head as a bottle was set down and she plopped unceremoniously into her comfy chair. Black gloves rested upon the surface as she took them off, also allowing a dark jacket to fall into the seat as her arms slipped out, leaving her shirt wrapped around her waist. Having a shirt to give her more leg room for good measure, her gaze looked up to the ceiling mindlessly as the dark eye blinked. The other eye unknown to others, as it was hidden behind the accessory with a story to tell, given the trio of marks scarring at her face. The ponytail of her streaked hair draped itself about her torso as she turned her brain off for a few moments in calm. It was a quiet serene and one rarely felt given her work: life always on the line, danger at every corner and it was up to the employed to figure out how its done.

Ah, well, she's not complaining.

"Goddamn, feels like I haven't been off my feet in ages." She grinned, propping her feet up at the table and taking a remote in hand. "Can't get too wasted this early in the day though. Shame, since Mark got that one job he was hopin' someone would call him for." Her kind were rowdy and disorganized, chugging alcohol as they pleased and roughly handling their work in barbaric ways. They were a lot more akin to animals, doing as they pleased assuming they get paid. Since she was, in fact, not getting paid yet but waiting for someone to come in... The television flickered on, showing programs that brought a much less serious tone than field work: comedic displays. A chuckle or two escaped her lips every so often, patiently awaiting the next special order.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Anybody Need a Gun? [Open] Empty Re: Anybody Need a Gun? [Open]

Post by Not a Lizarddo Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:25 pm

A knock would interrupt the woman's respite after some time. Without so much as waiting for her to respond the door opened to reveal a man in Holle's doorway. His manner of dress immediately betrayed him as a rich man as he wore a three piece suit, perfectly wrinkle free and clean as could be. The material was a mixture of grays and purples in what could only be considered gaudy by most normal people and all throughout there were golden stitched patterns no doubt using some actual gold to give it some more flair. The man's perfectly groomed light brown hair and fingers overly beset by jeweled rings only furthered the look and a powerful cologne overtook the space he occupied.

"You!" he cried out. It was clear from just this single word there was to be no manners had in the man. "I hear you're one of the best out there. The dragon slayer?!" he spoke in a clearly panicked tone but also gave off the impression he was entitled to anything he wanted. There was a second figure with him who entered slowly from behind. A much shorter and clearly not human figure. A human sized weasel with ornate beads about its neck and a red scythe that matched the pants about its waist positioned over his head, a single hand casually holding onto the weapon. It didn't speak or seem to have any vested interest in what the man was doing. He was merely along for the ride it seemed.

"I have a job for you." the flamboyant man continued as if Holle would simply yield to whatever request he had. "I need you to leave immediately before she does anything else!"

Last edited by Doggo on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:59 am

It was a good day; something in the air made it feel that way. For the first time in ages, Matt managed to get out of his hometown with his family, going to visit some relatives he only remembers meeting once at the birthday of a cousin he probably forgot because he secretly broke his favorite toy. A family secret he plans to take with him to the grave, but that's not the point. After he managed to shake his parents off by circling around the place and telling them he was only going to buy whatever candy they could have on the closest store, the young boy set out to find the fabled "mercenary office" he heard so much about.

You see, the kid has been planning on going hunting for a long time. And it wasn't just about hunting the same kind of animals you see on the roads or being killed by cool animals in documentals. He wanted to hunt a Dreamborn. Yes, a Dreamborn. And he had a good reason to do it, so he sure needed the best of the best backing him up. After all, who's better than a guy that supposedly killed a dragon with the interesting combination of his bare hands and some sauce bottle of doubtful origin? Of course, he heard variations of the story, with the one he was adhering to courtesy of his uncle. Some versions he heard featured a full bottle of an unspecified sauce (Some say soy sauce, but that enters in conflict with other version) and some others featured no bottle at all. Shocking, I know. Matt went with the funniest one. That one may be the absolute truth after all.

After seeing a really colorful group of weapon-carrying people exiting a building Matt knew that, even if he wasn't at the right place, he was pretty damn close to a real mercenary. Without thinking too much about the immediate danger he was placing himself into, he made his way into the building while ignoring the killing glares of all those tough-looking guys around the area. Not that he was nervous, of course. He was focused on that one task. Also, he was kinda lost, so he needed to ask for directions. Better inside the building than out.

Walking for quite a while, Matt began to notice the smell of what could only be described as "strong perfume for pretentious pricks". Though he noted he may be a little off with the description. No one's perfect. He followed the scent, believing it to be from the same mercenary he's been looking for, finally reaching an towards an open doorway. Preparing mentally for what he was going to say, he quickly approached the door. "Good afternoon? I'm looking for Mr. "Dragon Slayer" here. There's a job I..." He said peeking, stoping mid-sentence once he noticed that there was a perfectly dressed man (Probably the real source of the smell) talking to a pirate woman resting on a chair and... A bipedal weasel doing whatever. What a cute little thing.

"Oh... I'm not interrupting something, am I?".
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:21 am

Holle was cut off in the middle of a laugh by the knock at her front door. Though, the sudden intrusion was a surprise bringing her to swing her feet off the table. "Oi, oi, wait a minute-" She instinctively switched the television off and couldn't get a word out from the rich man's blabbering. He seemed to be in some kind of panic and was looking for her reputation, which confirmed it was definitely a job. The employer was too frantic to actually explain anything though, so an uncovered eye drifted to his attire instead and muffled him out a bit. There, calculations ran through the mind as she took note of his jewelry and the unnecessary gold dressing his overly gaudy suit pieces. Too many rings littered his spoiled digits and a few quiet sniffs caught a stronger whiff of that fancy cologne once the powerful scent reached. "Not bad." The mercenary whispered, impressed with how she can probably jack up a needlessly high price. Extorting the filthy rich is a great way to make a living, after all.

Though, before she could reply, she looked to the odd creature with him. That some kinda dreamborn...? A silent inquiry to the weasel fellow outfitted as edgily as possible. Her eye blinked, finding the scythe in his hand to be designed fairly well without matching the unnecessary amount of accessories of the other gent. It gave a strong implication he was likely an assisting hand rather than an actual associate.

Another person entered the scene before she could get word out too. A more average looking joe who didn't catch her eye in terms of money to charge. Admittedly, he was the most largely uninteresting at first glance, but she would still see what he wants.

So, the girl gently slapped a hand onto her desk and began lifting herself up. "I'm the Dragon Slayer, that's me." Holle introduced herself with a grunt, getting to her feet and wearing a confident grin in welcoming the trio. "Firstly, firstly, yeah I'm not a 'Mister'. Secondly, sir, I'm gonna need you to slow the hell down and tell me what the deal is. I'm perfectly good to work." Hands gestures were merely raised just to accentuate her casual nature about it, conflicting with the tone of a frenzied employer. "Thirdly, I'll get to you in a bit kid. Lemme handle this one at a time, guys with more money first." She made her desire pretty clear from the get go while hoping to organize the customers. She didn't address the weasel under the assumption he wasn't a customer.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 am

To Matt's surprise, the pirate woman turned out to be Mr. Dragon Slayer himse- Herself. The hand-slap she used to start lifting herself from her comfy chair sounded a little bit angry, even more so when you take into account that the desk seemed to be from the greatest wood of all time: Mahogany. You don't slap mahogany like that. Anyways, she was also sporting a somewhat welcoming smile, so... Everything seemed to be good. At least until she corrected him on his percieved gender of the fabler "Dragon Slayer" mercenary. "Huh... My bad" He said under his breath as she continued talking.

It appeared that the smelly fabulously-dressed man and his weasel... Pet? Let's go with companion. Dreamborns like that should be common around those places, and who knows who could have the pants in that relationship. It appeared that they were there for a job too; and it was job she would gladly hear about first because, well, the guy looked like he had amounts of money that, for common folks like him, could only be described as "rude". She even said so herself, "guys with more money first". But hey, at least he was getting a turn after that.

"No problem over here" He answered, stepping into the office. "You're the pirate. Do your thing". Taking a good look at the place, he noticed the jukebox sitting there doing nothing. "Oh, is that a jukebox? I've never seen one that was... Complete. Would you mind if I get a little look?"
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:00 pm

The rich man was obviously ruffled at Holle's frustrated tone and the appearance of Matt in general. He wanted nothing to do with these riffraff and it showed on his face. He was above all this but he needed their help regardless as he lacked the man power. Or perhaps he did have the man power but didn't want official trails leading back to himself. It was always hard to tell with these kinds of people. He produced a handkerchief from his coat pocket that was equally gaudy and wiped his forehead briefly and with a few deep breaths settled in to actually describe the service he needed.

"There's a woman..." he began, though he seemed not entirely sure how to proceed in his description. "If one could even call her that. She has to be some kind of dreamborn in disguise. She apparently goes around calling herself a goddess so let that tell you what it will about her." he continued, settling in some as he processed how to put this all together for the mercenary to understand. "It would be one thing if that's all she did but she's been seen going around towns. Obviously she's damaged some of my financial interests or I might not even be here. But more than that the girl has a dangerous influence on the dreamborn." he continued, glancing briefly at the weasel he'd walked in with.

"I went to those blasted Himura but they only gave me this thing." he said motioning to the creature behind him. "They claim it's good at tracking people. But they don't understand how dangerous this woman is. It's going to take some serious fire power. She's been seen around those do-gooders. The mandolin or whatever they call themselves. Now either they don't realize the kind of threat she is or worse... they're sheltering her. Either way that's what I'm hiring you for. Find this goddess and kill her." he said, folding his arms decisively. "I'll pay whatever and you can do what you want with this thing since it's been technically hired too." he concluded. All the while the weasel remained silent, his eyes more trained on Holle than anything else in the room while the man produced a piece of paper for the mercenary containing a detailed description of the target from various eye witness accounts.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 am

"Go for it, just don't break anything." Holle stated to the youth in the room. "You're payin' me for whatever gets messed up." She waved her hand with a casual air about her until realizing: "Wait, pirate?" She said in confusion for moment, though it dawned on her after a minute and got a snicker out of her.

As for the rich man she was about to siphon for all she could, the mercenary listened to him speak and her expression lightly contorted with intrigue. A brow raised and she scrunched up with disbelief when informed a dreamborn called itself a divinity. The dreamborn were some strange creatures and one she didn't give much mind to as most didn't speak. If they did, they usually didn't have much good to say beyond some very creative threats that could chill the spine. Pondering the matter, hands settled onto her hips and lips curled into a neutral frown. Dreamborn are dreamborn, they can be dealt with regardless of their quirks, surely.

Been into town and having some dangerous influence were odd bits of information, but considering the weasel-creature with him, their kind probably blended in somehow. Holle hummed inquisitively as her gaze fell upon the scythe-wielding animal every so often and took in what information she could. "Dunno what the heck this 'Mandolin' or whatever is, but if the Himura aren't taking their jobs seriously, I'm good with taking money in their stead." The Dragon Slayer shrugged, watching him bring the sheet of paper detailing the job description. A golden-eyed, dark haired wonder with a sword and white cape. Didn't have the same look as the weasel and most other dreamborns, but gold eyes in her experience often meant bad news.

"Well, well..." Holle got a quick read on the matter, skimming the text and getting a good visual. Though, her tone got increasingly more cocky as she did. "I can definitely take care of this for you, but puttin' lil' ol' me against some kinda goddess is a tall order... That's a nice suit you got there too, so it's a shame I'm the one gettin' dirty while you're still spotless, huh?" Words coupled with obnoxious poison and taunting suggestion, she set the paper down and kept the haughty smirk she wore. "It's a good thing you're willin' to pay whatever... I don't know what that guy's gettin' paid, but I know it ain't gonna be cheap. I want cash first too, since this is a biggie." She was direct about her goading at least, not at all veiling her money-grubbing means of exploiting the rich.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:42 am

If the rich man could tell he was being taken for a ride he certainly didn't show it. As if prepared for Holle's sentiments on the matter he withdrew from his inside coat pocket a bulging bag that jingled with the sound of pieces of metal slipping past each other as it moved. This he plopped down in front of the mercenary with a casual motion that implied he was used to these kinds of large transactions. The top opened some as it settled into place revealing the contents to be solid gold coins, and a large amount of them too.

"I believe that should more than cover it. But there'll be more for you once I have confirmation she's dead." he said with a scoff. Money clearly meant next to nothing to him, implying he hadn't earned the money in his life but rather inherited or perhaps married into it. "Whatever you do be thorough. Maybe some of us will get a good night's sleep for once." he complained to no one in particular. He didn't linger much longer than he needed to and left as soon as he and Holle confirmed the transaction. As quickly as he came he abruptly left, still in something of a panic from the looks of things too.

The weasel let out a long sigh through his nose as if relieved to have the man out of his hair for now. That left only the two mercenaries and the other human. The weasel made no effort to break the ice however and merely continued observing the Dragon Slayer, curious what she would do with him.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am

Having the green light from Ms. Pirate herself, along with a little warning about paying for anything he breaks, Matt moved quickly towards the jukebox to inspect it even more closely. Hearing her laugh, likely caused by his previous pirate joke, was highly satisfactory for the young man. Yes, even if it took quite a while for her to get it. As long as she wasn't slow with her slaying of things, everything was good.

The machine was still his primary focus on that moment, as he wasn't lying when he said that he hasn't seen one complete; nearly every jukebox he came in contact with was lacking parts or outright crumbling. "Well, well, well... What a marvelous piece of machinery we have here" He thought aloud, not minding if the rich man or the weasel heard him.

While inspectig the device, he also couldn't help but hear about the details of the job the other man needed Ms. Dragon Slayer for. Matt couldn't catch some of the more juicy details, but he understood that there was something about a woman that was calling herself a "God", did something to some Dreamborns and was, in general, problematic for the man and his associates. Or, you know, something along those lines.

"Silly people..." He thought somberly, thankfully not aloud this time. "Gods don't exist. Only demons do".

The man also explained how the weasel creature was good at tracking people and was given to him by the "Homura", a familiar sounding name to him but nothing that really rang any bells. Also, something about pangolins. He might've heard that wrong.

Of course Ms. "Sauce Bottle" was up for the task; that guy's look literally said "I'm rich, I'll pay good". And of course, a little taunt here and there was thrown before she asked for a payment in cash first. "Hmm, way to go" Matt thought again while taking mental photos of the jukebox.

As if asserting dominance over the economically impaired, the rich guy left on top of the desk what sounded like a bag full of coins (The best kind of bags in my opition) and left as soon as the supposed transaction was done with some parting words. Touching. Matt then turned around to see that they (The mercenary, the weasel and him) were the only ones left in the office.

"So..." He said as he approached the desk, taking a good look at the bag of gold coins. "That sure looks like a lot of money. You know, you could take the money and act like nothing happened. I'm pretty sure you didn't sign any contracts and the only ones who know are us three. And one of us doesn't seem to be able to speak, so..." He then added, pointing at the weasel with his eyes.
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 am

Holle's eyes shined and sparkled at the marvel of money this sucker was carelessly throwing her way. She laughed, giddy with excitement and rushed to the bag of gold coins. "Haha, fuck me! I haven't gotten an advancement this big ever!" A vulgar manner of speech escaped her lips as she inspected the contents and held the pouch close, giving no mind to the frantic man's departure. Whatever his problem was sure didn't concern her, nor did she find it appropriate to give him a lecture about karma in hiring a gun to kill for him. Looking back to the small dreamborn he left behind, Holle looked at him with a grin and asked: "Hey, you get your crazy share of this too? He's really got more to offer after this?!"

Considering the advance payment was enough to turn this mediocre establishment into something far more lavished in comfortable furniture, she could only imagine what the rest would be able to buy. Though, when the bit of simply not doing the work came up from the average joe still hanging around, she gave him a light, confused frown. "Hah? I mean, I could but that's bad for business. You two can snitch on me as you please and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth regardless." Her tone almost suggested what he said was outright stupid, the honest merc bewildered by the affront to good morality.

Well, whatever. She sat the bag back on the desk. "So kid, what do you need? And uh... weasel... thing, who are you?" Holle addressed them both, now that the gaudy, rich fool who gave a fortune ahead of time was gone.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 am

The weasel continued eyeing Holle in particular as she began laughing at the man's payment. The boy and her exchanged some words about simply pocketing the money and not fulfilling the contract. She seemed to finally acknowledge his presence in asking him if he was being similarly paid. It almost didn't register that she would speak to him and so a brief moment of surprise shot across his face, his eyes widened some from their usual tensed and focused position. But still he remained silent. At least that was until she asked who he was.

"Someone from the dark..." he started in a low soft voice but still audible. The weasel's voice was no where near as squeaky or high pitched as one might expect for something of his size. "Miro Himura." he further elaborated if one could call it elaboration. It wasn't nearly as ridiculously serious anyway. "Mercenary. This is my job you've been hired for. He couldn't trust a 'filthy half-breed' to do it alone." Miro as he had called himself explained. With this much for those following what he had said it would be clear that he was half-dreamborn half-human. Not a sight one encountered all that often.

"He was tossing three or four bags like that around at our base." Miro further offered, returning to Holle's question he had failed to answer. He finally unfixed his gaze from the dragon slayer. Having formally entered a conversation he wasn't sure where this was going to go next but he figured it might be taken as hostile to continue staring. As he had said this was his job. And though he wouldn't show it he was frustrated to have another person hired for it.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:29 am

Of course Matt was in awe after hearing such an, huh, "adorned expression" coming from Ms. Dragon Slayer's mouth after seeing the incredible money bag that the rich guy left; one of the reasons he approached the desk in the first place was to check the bag (Also to make conversation, but that wasn't his top priority). After his brilliant idea of taking the money and doing absolutely nothing was answered with a confused frown and a comment that, if he were a different kind of person, would've made him think she was calling him stupid, he couldn't help but feel amazed. "Oh my. Good morals and good work ethic, I see" He thought aloud "That's nice, that's nice".

And now, it was finally his turn to talk about the job he needed help with. He was pretty sure that it would top the silly mission of "killing a goddess". Mental hospitals exist, no? Throw her there and be done with it. However, the mercenary woman also asked the weasel who he was at nearly the same time. Oh boy. " Hmm, I wouldn't mind allowing the weasel to introduce... Himself? Herself?" He interrupted himself, wondering the gender of the creature before continuing. "Itself. Introduce itself. First. But I really, really don't think it can talk".

Now, Matt was convinced that, even if the creature reacted with what appeared to be surprise a few seconds ago, it wouldn't be able to respond; so to say that he was taken aback the moment he heard it answering back, albeit in a low but still audible voice, would be the understatement of the century.

Introducing himself (Yep, his voice made pretty clear the he was a "he") as "someone from the dark", and later with the name "Miro Himura", the weasel confirmed some of the things Matt heard when the rich guy was negotiating his job; Miro was a mercenary, and the job of killing Ms. Goddess herself was his before Mr. Fancy-pants decided to hire Ms. Dragon Slayer as he couldn't trust a "filthy half-breed". Well, the guy was an asshole, nothing new here. But, there was a more pressing matter at hand...

"Holy shit... Did the weasel just talk?" Matt said, retreating slowly. At least he waited until he was finished before panicking. "The weasel can talk!?".
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:49 am

"Ho, you can speak!" Holle was admittedly taking a wild shot in the dark, as not many of the dreamborn she met in her work actually spoke. The weasel - 'Miro' - was another one of very few exceptions. The eye-patched woman kept a friendly grin about her, taking note that he was as edgy as he looked given the introduction. Though, as Matt approached while this was occurring, the girl instinctively moved the bag of gold coins away from him as a cautious reflex. Her expression turned to wary for a moment, though didn't have that much issue after half a second. He was probably a good kid, considering his normal appearance and just the inquisitive face he wore exploring the office. He was just also probably not dumb.

Well, turning back to the weasel as the kid was busy being bewildered by a dreamborn capable of speech... The very quiet hostility of Miro in having to share this job did not go unnoticed, as it was a reasonable vexation she and various others went through all the time. Unless you were in an established and friendly circle of mercenaries who had codes of helping each other out, putting someone else on your job is a grave insult in undermining one's abilities and pay... Err, probably not pay in the case of the wealthy bonehead who hired them, but still.

She shrugged. "As long as we're all gettin' paid." Holle decided it better to not dig deeply into the frustration, believing she's no therapist and doesn't know the full story for this guy. Only that being a 'filthy half-breed' was a bad time. She didn't judge it either though, not really caring to put him on blast when he's a useful asset once they get out there. "We can gun for some of those extra three to four bags with a lil' fun, don'tcha think?" The gun proposed. "When we get there, I got some boys who'll handle supplies and carry over some firearms. We can make a race out of it to find Miss Goddess and tear her ass a new one. Then, winner gets more of the extra money we were promised." Friendly competition was offered, her smirk growing a bit more fierce and cocky as her ego was inflated by her reputation. Dragon Slayer isn't even remotely the last stop, she can put down a deity if needed and then cash will really start kicking in.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am

"Tch..." Miro began at the human man's shock and alarm at his ability to speak. It never ceased to amaze the mercenary how little the average human knew about Dreamborn or the hybrids. Holle even seemed to express some surprise at his having a voice. "Of course I can talk." he offered with little explanation past it. It was only natural as he'd been doing it all his life. Holle seemed unusually okay with the idea of sharing the job with him, likely due to the sheer amount of money running around in it already.

"A race..." the weasel muttered in reply. Maybe it was something in the Dragon Slayer's overconfident energy but the idea was building some form of excitement in Miro's mind. "I'll have her head before you find your aim." he said, returning the smug aura back at his fellow mercenary. He shifted his scythe some, lowering the blade to the floor to rest it more comfortably. The rings attached where the handle and blade met jingled as the weapon moved. At this point he turned his gaze back to Holle's eyes, making contact briefly. For a moment the usual orange color of his irises would flash a bright gold but the woman would feel nothing in response to it. What Miro saw now was himself from Holle's perspective. Only having one eye made for no depth perception. And something definitely seemed off with her covered eye. Another flash and he saw through Matt's eyes. He was endlessly curious how others saw him but nothing ever seemed off from his own reflection.

"Well, this should be interesting." Miro said while his sight returned to that of his own perspective. "You hunt dreamborn normally though don't you? Don't think for a moment you can turn your weapon on me when you aren't satisfied with your cut." he said, some of the raw edge from his first statement returning to his face and voice.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:32 am

Though Ms. Dragon Slayer was also surprised at the fact that "Miro" could talk, it was absolutely nothing like how Matt was feeling at that moment; the shock was still visible in his face even after the weasel showed again how intelligent it actually was by talking once more. You know, just a small phrase of "Of course I can talk" to show some hostility here and there. For the young man, of course, it was one phrase too much. He tried to collect himself and stop retreating before he broke something by backtracking like a moron to then offer his more sincere apologies to the, huh, "gentleman". "I-I guess Dreamborns and hybrids aren't just mindless and horryfing creatures? Ok, that was totally rude. My bad".

It was clear that the mercenary woman didn't need much time to process this happening as she soon began to propose to the mercenary weasel some kind of friendly competition (As friendly as competitions between mercenaries can get) to see who could kill the goddess first. Kill her dead. Really dead. And strangely enough, though the weasel seemed to be carrying an aura of seriousness and, I dare say, edge (Not talking about his weapon here, but that's a contributing factor) ever since Matt entered the office, he was totally fine with the fun little race. He even answered her smugness with his own particular brand of smugness! But, as if reverting to his old self, he dared her to try something if she found herself unsatisfied with the money she was going to get.

Now, while that threat could've been really, well, threatening coming from a human being, the fact that it was comming from a scythe-wielding talking weasel (No comments on his outfit) didn't help it from making it look quite adorable in Matt's eyes. Yes, even with his tone and all. In the end he could've gone with the flow and allow them to even plan their retirement if they wanted to, but there was something important he came there to do...

"Not to say that it wasn't funny and adorable respectibly, but I think you're forgetting something Ms. Dragon Slayer" He interrupted them, taking a step forward. "You still haven't heard about my job. Who knows? Maybe you'll find it even more interesting than the "goddess killing" mission Mr. Fancy-pants got for you two".
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:27 pm

"Aim? I'll just no scope it before you get at it, don't underestimate me." Holle joked in response to the weasel's matching her energy. The woman took note of his odd eye color change and wore an inquisitive smirk from the momentary stare, but ultimately didn't question much of it and merely turned to her desk. Holle let the kid speak and interact with the dreamborn for a hot minute while she looked over the note describing the target, single eye blinking in an attempt to visualize this supposed goddess. The computing machine upon it booted itself up with a noisy whirling and messily sprayed out paperwork was pushed aside carelessly, some sheets falling on the floor and a few intentionally being guided to the nearby trash can. "If I'm not happy with my cut, I'm kicking everyone's ass, not just yours, don't worry." She gave a bit of a late response to Miro, but said so casually.

She is getting her pay.

And speaking of pay, Matt was offering extra from the sounds of it. Taking a seat, the merc continued to smile with her confident, cocky aura. "Go on and talk, kid. I can take two jobs at once. Though, if it's as interesting as you're promising me and you can tempt me with some good payment, yours might be done first." Now, looking at him, she really doubted he was going to top the bag of gold coins the gaudy client from before gave her. Nothing about him exactly screamed 'moneybags', but she was used to pleasant, wealthy surprises. That, and interesting stories did get her excited. Holle rested elbows upon the arm rests and got comfortable, putting her hands together and meshing digits with an attentive glance.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:56 pm

With his inspection of the two's eyesight completed and his challenge issued, Miro stepped back some to approach a wall of the room. If they weren't going to be off right away he wanted to be some form of comfortable. But of course you had to look cool doing these sorts of things. And so his back leaned into the wall as did a single food he lifted up onto it behind him. His scythe was still blade side down resting in front of him with the handle leaning on the wall as well so he could quickly grab it. As it happened he was glad to have taken the more comfortable position. After Holle returned his quips, Matt seemed intent on offering them a job.

"The freelancer is one thing. Getting a Himura who's already been assigned a job will cost you. It had best be good." came the weasel's simple and serious response. He was fully capable of multitasking but his people were determined that jobs be done thoroughly. Were he to get caught up in some menial task and mess up the hunt for the goddess it would bring shame to the house's name. And that was something he was trying to avoid.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 am

While Matt was expecting that Ms. Dragon Slayer would hear him out (She even said so herself!), despite her engaging in a playful exchange with Miro and the fact that she went silent for a good minute before saying something again (And he wasn't sure if it was to something he said or something that the weasel said), he was completely surprised when the little mercenary also showed interest. Maybe it was the way he phrased it; using words like "interesting" and throwing dirt to the other job could be interpreted by them as something completely different. Like, more pay. But one problem at a time.

"Ok, get this" Matt said, as if preparing a big surprise for his friends. "You may not believe it, but it's real! I need you.."

A dramatic pause to increase the hype.

"To hunt... "

Once again.

"A phoenix!!" Exclamed the young man, even using the abhorrent "jazz hands" to adorn his honest announcement. What can be said apart that it was clear to anyone except himself that the it wasn't working? Oh yeah! The coming death glares.

"Ok, ok, ok. I think I need to explain myself better..." He added, hoping to dissuade the mercenaries from going medieval on him. "I know it sounds stupid. Like, really stupid. But please, hear me out. I'm not joking with this; I never do". Matt then proceeded to take out of his pocket a folded piece of paper. Once he unfolded it, it showed a rough drawing of a map; it was clear from the stains and traces that he drew the map more than once before deciding on the current version. "I thought I would never get to use this. You see, this here is my hometown" He then pointed at the signaled town. "There's no use in telling you its name 'cause it's so insignificant no one but the people who live there would know about it".

"Five years ago, there was a big fire that engulfed my whole neighborhood and took the live of at least 25 people. I say at least because some are still missing. The official story was that it was caused by natural gas leak and a poor bastard with a cigarette. Or you know, something along those lines". As the young man went on with his explanation, his face began to shift slowly into a scowl. "They can say whatever the fuck they want, but the whole town knows the real reason. Well, who's the real culprit"

"It was...". Matt aggresively gripped the map as he prepared to say the name. "The phoenix". Though normally it would sound like a joke, the expression on the young man's face showed that he was serious. He may have looked somewhat calm on the outside, but he was smoldering with resentment towards the creature he was looking to hunt on the inside; the sole mention of his supposed name nearly made his concealed anger pour through him. That was something he didn't want anyone to see, much less mercenaries that couldn't care less about his problems.

"Sorry. Give a...". Because of that, Matt had to take a moment to calm down, releasing the map from his grip once he realized he was starting to tear it appart. The young man placed his now free hand on his left arm with a look of shame, and then proceeded to continue. "Anyways, that's the name we gave it, 'cause that's how everyone that survived the experience described it. A red being covered in fire that vaguely resembled a bird; so, of course, the phoenix. I think everyone here knows that I'm talking about a fucking Dreamborn" He said, not minding that Miro was present. Or if there was a difference between the phoenix and what the weasel mercenary actually was. "I may be from a shitty town in the middle of knowhere and be blissfully ignorant of how the world works, but even I know that Dreamborns aren't supposed to be far from the fucking island. At least as far as I know".

"I began to investigate. Well, investigate as much as a little kid with basic education could. I found nothing much about Dreamborns out of their supposed habitat, much less about phoenix-like ones". His gaze lowered, looking directly at the map he placed on the desk. "But monsters, monsters like this one, don't die easily. I'm pretty sure it's still out there somewhere. I don't want you to kill it; I want you to be my backup. I want you to help me get as close as humanly possible for me to wrap my hands around whatever it has for neck".

"As for the pay, let's see what do I have here...". Matt's face changed from complete anger to complete panic after he checked his other pocket; he had no money with him. At least not abysmal quantities as the one in the money bag. "Oh shit... Ohshitohshitohshitohshitoh-". Yeah, of course he couldn't pay for it. He's 17! The few money he had was to buy candy at the store! He couldn't even pay a homeless person to hit him in the head with the amount he had. "Well, this is awkward...".

As sudden as his previous change was, Matt shifted again to his usual self when saying this. "I could pay you with my, huh, internship? Y-Yeah! Internship!". Now it was clear he was grasping at straws; that on itself could've been considered as entertaining to an outside viewer, but now...

I promise that you won't regret it! Look, I can cook, clean and handle any punishment! Physical, emotional, any kind! Just please, please help me with this!".
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 pm

Holle got comfortable in her seating position and heard the kid out, giving him a skeptical look when he built up the suspense before dropping the target's... well, a title befitting its nature. It wasn't that she didn't believe him to be joking of a mythical fire bird, more the fact that he thought she wouldn't believe him. "I pumped a motherfucking dragon full of lead, it's not that dumb." The mercenary leaned back a bit, keeping a raised brow as he started to explain proper of the villain. She didn't move closer when he showed the map, instead merely looking at it from where she was and taking note of the markings about it. Lightly clenching her teeth, she observed his rage-filled motions and gestures while seeing this wasn't a nervous man looking for ease, it was a vengeful one looking for catharsis.

Not the first customer she's had of the like, but one she didn't have to tell about the nature of revenge-filled intentions affecting karma. His type would already know.

Stretching out a hand, she took the map with a lackadaisical but still noticeable care. Following that was her leaning forward and getting a better look, scanning its contents as Matt gave himself a minute to calm down. Her lips curved into a frown, growing in a simmering, quiet rage through a narrowed gaze. Has no one else even tried to get anything done about this in half a decade? Holle thumbed the map and made mental notes of the town's location, along with other tracings about it. He kept telling his story of investigating and how a dreamborn was involved, on top of wanting to kill for himself... but then couldn't pay. Typical, but expected of someone his age and looks not really having the funds to hire a gun. The appeal of internship wasn't doing any favors either, given all she really got out of the job description is: five years ago, some dude with bird-shaped fire torched a place. That, and an earnest plea that reflected how he held and took care of the map before being overcome with anger.

"... You're in over your head, kid." Holle took a pause before putting the map down and telling him straight. "Sounds like you came to me on a whim, others too that have heard this story, I'm sure. A runt like you can't get your hands on it, it'd probably burn them off... Then this shit about not giving me my money is already rubbing me the wrong way." She scratched her head, voice trailing with significant annoyance and a frustrated sigh, still not making eye-contact.

"It'd rub me the wrong way more if I just ignored this though." A stroke of luck for Matt, the good-nature in her overpowering ruthless logic. The one eye did lift itself up to his form and held a sharp integrity in its gaze. "You say a dreamborn got a bloodbath and it got covered up by people with their heads up their asses? Can't say I'll take it over wrecking a goddess' day, but I won't say I'm not gonna look into it along the way." She proceeded to speak honestly while reaching for the bag of gold coins the gaudy gent from earlier left behind in advance. "You see this? Because of it, I'm in a good mood. Money is a good motivator and I'm motivated to pop a cap in a bird's ass." A smirk dressed itself upon her face, shrugging her shoulders. "I'm feeling generous because of it, so I'll figure out how you pay me later. Maybe I'll reconsider that internship so I don't have to clean around here."
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 pm

Miro paid special attention to Matt as he spoke of his job and the accompanying story. Not because the details of the job were all that appealing to him but because he was trying to process the fluctuating emotions in the man. There was anger ebbing and flowing as he spoke indicating the job was deeply personal in nature and it perplexed the weasel to see. So he simply stared longer at the young man. As the explanation came to a close it came out that not only did he not know of the target's location but also had next to nothing to pay with. And so Miro's posture shifted from interest in an attempt to understand to indifference as Matt finished and Holle began her response.

"Come back to the Himura base with some real information and you'll get sorted out." Miro began coldly after the Dragon Slayer expressed her interest in at least keeping an eye out for information. Though he was being largely dismissive of Matt, one could almost feel the subtle jab at Holle, like he didn't think her capable of figuring out the request with the paltry amount of information available to them. "In any case," he began as he pushed off from the wall he'd been leaning on and grabbed his scythe with one hand and laid it upon his shoulder, the blade behind him and point down toward the floor. "I have a goddess to kill. And I've played enough human games for one day." the weasel concluded with a huff as he began making his way toward the door of Holle's office.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 am

There was no way this could work. Matt knew way too well there was no way in hell this could work. I mean, internship? Really? Why not concierge? Come on, who in their right mind would want him as an intern? He has nothing to show in his favor. And please, even is she accepted, she more than likely would use him mainly as cannon fodder in really dangerous jobs. And, being totally honest, that was the best possible scenario.

Man, how could he forget that the only way to get the attention of people in that line of work was with big amounts of money? Maybe he didn't know how the world actually works, but even he should understand the concept of monetary compensation for a job well done. Like, come on man. Get in the game.

After looking the kind of jobs Ms. Dragon Slayer usually takes, and the kind of payment she usually gets, it was clear that she wouldn't take on Matt's job, if we can even call it that. At least not without the promise of a good payment, knowing that he had next to no information to work with. Even Miro, who seemed interested at first, began to show indifference after the fact that he couldn't pay came out. Not that he wanted Miro's help, or that he didn't expect him to show no interest.

And, to put the final nail in the coffin, the mercenary woman told Matt that, apart from the fact that the whole deal of hiring her looked more like a whim of his than anything else, he wouldn't be able to do anything to the creature even if he got close enough to do something. Dreamborns like that are usually way to powerful for normal humans to approach without taking considerable amounts of damage. Oh, and that giving her a job without payment was... Mildly infuriating for a professional like her. Or, you know, something along those lines.

"N-No! Please, understand!". But Matt wasn't done yet. He wanted to appeal to the woman a little more, although that wouldn't take him anywhere. However... She said the most wonderful words the young man has heard after "Meatballs for dinner": "It'd rub me the wrong way more if I just ignored this though".

Looks like, for better or worse, luck was actually on the young man's side. Ms. Dragon Slayer was still going to do the first job, but she at least would be keeping an eye out for a big bird. Turns out she was in a good mood thanks to the money the jerk with strong perfume left for her, or at least that's what she said. Maybe it had something to do with her good nature, who knows.

"Wait. Are you... Are you really...?". Matt tried to talk, having some difficulty with his words after some minutes of solid silence. Of course, the young man used that precious time to try his damnedest to understand what was going on. Was she saying the truth? Was that a joke? Was she playing with his feelings as if he was a toy she could discard? It wouldn't be the first time, but that's a story for another time. But after all this time, the young man didn't even care for a confirmation.

Matt was... Happy. Yeah, being more than content with the idea of killing a creature could tell a lot about a person, but that wasn't the point. Words couldn't begin to describe the release he was feeling at the moment; having the strongest mercenary as an ally was good enough to send him jumping with joy like the little kid he was. Not only that, but he was also getting prepared to hug to death every living creature (Bigger than a house cat, at least) currently located on the immediate area. Starting with Miro, of course. That weasel sure was going to get hugged.

Sadly, that had to wait for another time as said scythe-wielding animal was on his way to finish his job. Even though it was already clear that the weasel mercenary wasn't remotely interested in doing a job pro bono, he still had the decency to suggest Matt to try looking for help on the Himura base once he got enough information. Maybe they could do something, but he still had no idea who the Himura were or where the hell their base was.

"H-Hey! Miro, right?". The young man tried to catch his attention. "T-Thanks man, I'll try with them next. I really appreciat-". However, the weasel mercenary was already on his way to the exit, carrying his favorite killing weapon on his shoulder. He needed to get moving; after all, he had a date with a goddess. A deadly date. "Oh, ok. Nevermind".

Now, after all those trials and tribulations, Matt was finally one step closer to achieving his dream. All thanks to that woman with an eyepatch. "Miss, I..." The young man tried to spout some words, but he was still having difficulties given how emotional he was at the moment. "... Thank you. This... This means a lot to me. That beast took a lot from me; to have a shot at bringing that damn thing down is just... Thank you".

"I promise to pay you for all your help. Starting now!" Matt added quite enthusiastically. "You said you were going to kill a goddess, right? Well, what are we waiting for? Let's get going! You don't want to lose to Miro, right?". Now he was way in over his head. No amount of happines couldn't justify the idiocy he was committing. "I know you said you were going to consider the internship, and you mentioned something about cleaning the place, but there's no need to think a lot about it; I was thinking somethin along the lines of field work, you know? Maybe like a squire or something. Wait... Yes! A squire! I'll be your squire! I'll, like, carry your stuff, prepare your mean... I'll even follow you to hell and back again!".

In some way, Matt thought that appoint himself as her assistant was more than enough to show his gratitude. That was wrong in so many levels...

"Oh. And I'm Matt Taylor, by the way. The pleasure is all mine".
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:23 am

"Ah?!" Holle shot up to her feet, slamming her hand on the desk in upset at Miro's suggestion. He's passing off her work to someone else should this kid get his information straight! "Hey, if you wanna talk shit, say it to my face you damn rodent!" The vulgar merc shouted at the departing dreamborn, clenching her teeth and balling the earlier hand into a trembling fist looking for catharsis. She had half a mind to throw something at him and actually did throw a glass cup at Miro. She wasn't really hearing the emotional, earnest response of Matt at first, nor did she pay it any mind while growling with upset. Her sharp features growing with the edge of blades, that growl grew into a straight up snarl until huffing angrily and knocking a few papers off her desk.

"... Ah?" Mewling a similar noise to the first, she turned to Matt in wonder of what he was so excited about. She heard that he was gonna pay her right now, which made her confused until he went into detail. The bit about Miro brought a cringe of irritation, but that went back to being perplexed at his desire for field work assistance. This brought Holle to give a skeptical countenance and blinking. "I'm looking for more a maid than a jockey, but I guess one's still useful. I ain't callin' you a squire though." The Dragon Slayer sighed, straightening her posture. "Alright, I'll take a look in my inventory and see what I got for a goddess, then a phoenix too I guess. You hang around here and don't break shit. Matt, was it? Pick up this stuff off the floor while I get the stuff you're carrying ready."

... She's still going to have him for cleaning.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Not a Lizarddo Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:47 am

If Miro cared for Matt's thanks for Holle's insult he showed very little of it while continuing his shuffle toward the door. But he did pause when he heard the Dragon Slayer reaching for something. The sound of her fingers grasping glass, the disturbance in the air. The cup sailed through the air, well on course to the back of the weasel's head. But then something happened with a distinct sound. It was like tapping a spoon on the side of the cup crossed with a dramatic sword drawing. The sound aside what was actually happening seemed impossible. Right before it could hit Miro, the glass cup split cleanly in half with no sign of cracking on either piece. Had the weasel moved to attack only the most trained eye could have seen. The dreamborn mercenary turned about and caught the two halves of the cup on the flat edge of his scythe's blade which he held horizontally in front of him and pointed at Holle.

"I see whatever dragon you slayed to earn your reputation must have been either remarkably slow or impaired." Miro returned to the other mercenary with his usual uninterested tone. His face however had more fierceness to it now. Eyes were tensed and narrowed and set squarely on Holle, watching her every movement. If she wanted a fight he'd noticed the slightest indications of reaching for a weapon. Before continuing he reeled his scythe back some before swinging it in front of him which sent the two halves of the cup sailing through the room back at Holle. Each half would pass on either side of her head, just barely avoiding grazing her ears before smashing to pieces on the wall behind her.

"I will say you're incredibly honest to attack me before I've even left your office. A new record that one. Most wait til I've done all of the job to double cross me. But come then, human. I've killed dozens just like you and felt nothing. Make it exciting for me like some of the dreamborn at least. You can take some of that fool's money to the grave if you do." Miro concluded. Ferocity had been building in his voice as he spoke and invited Holle to follow through with her attempted assault.
Not a Lizarddo
Not a Lizarddo

Back to top Go down

Post by AverageKutcher Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:35 am

Turns out that, once again and against all odds, Matthew managed to convince (Well, if you call that convincing) Ms. Dragon Slayer to allow him to pay her by acting as her squire. The downside was that she wasn't going to call him a squire. "Well, we can't all be winners" Said the young man in response. Oh, and she also mentioned how she preferred something along the lines of a maid, a comment that wasn't totally omminous. She then mentioned she was going to check her inventory, not long after giving him his first task as a squir- worker: Cleaning. "On it, ma'am" He answered, somewhat discouraged about that being his first job. We can't all be winners indeed.

Let's talk a little about our little guy here. Matthew is, by all accounts, a pretty normal kid... Albeit with a grudge that burns with the intensity of a thousand suns; a grudge that could irreversibly "upset" his karma in ways he couldn't begin to comprehend. But you see, being him a kid, he wasn't known for being completely aware of how a lot of things work. We could cite his previous slip with the concept of payment as one of the many things he ignores, along with the fact that the karma, as a "current of energy present in all of creation", exists. And of course, how can we refrain from mentioning the brief "altercation" that happened between the mercenary woman and the weasel just a couple of seconds ago and how he absolutely missed it? Yeah, this was the point.

Long story short, Miro said something Ms. Dragon Slayer didn't like, she threw a glass cup at him and he responded by using his totally-not-for-show scythe to cut it cleanly and perfectly in two halves (With no cracks at all!), saying some really "sharp" comments about her and her reputation, and of course throw the cup halves back at her. Though the whole spectacle was quite impressive, even more so to someone like Matt who considered freerunning as the epitome of what any living being could achieve, he didn't catch much of it because he was busy feeling real happines for the first time in a really long time. Don't blame him.

Catching only Miro throwing back the halves, and the last batch of pointy insults, the young man acted having little to no context about the situation. "Dude, chill" He said to the little mercenary. "I'm pretty sure I'm the one stuck with cleaning this and every subsequent mess that happens in this office, so please make it easier for me. Also, I don't think she heard more than a quarter of your spiky comments; I mean, wasn't she going to check her inventory? I don't even know where that is, and this office seems bigger than your average office".
AverageKutcher
AverageKutcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Best Girl Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Without looking back, the Dragon Slayer let the halves of the cup rip through the air by her ears and collide with the wall, falling to pieces and bringing her to stop on her way to inventory. "Ah?" A snarl of vexation seethed through her tone, teeth clenched in rising anger until hearing the weasel speak further. While he insulted the beast she killed, stirring up a furious, boiling wrath in the blood... Miro spoke strangely, causing her fury to simmer slowly into confusion. Double cross? To the grave? "Oh shut up, it's not that serious." Holle waved her hand dismissively, scoffing added to a little laugh as she went further back through a nearby door. "I got no problem beating your ass though, so just hold on a second!" She shouted, her tone easing back into its usual laid-back norm and near enough disregarding Miro's counter-threat.

The key to killing Dreamborn, especially intelligent ones, is disable them. One that thought it was a goddess? Meh, every bear goes down with enough tranquilizer shots. Utilizing her karma, the Godwoken held a hand forward and conjured forth a portal enveloped in crackling lightning, wildly screeching and popping about as a sort of mechanical beast levitated forth from it. Anesvullet Dragon - one of her "Dreamborn Vullets" - had appeared at her command. "You'll do for the weasel, then I'll load more of you for whatever goddess this is and have Metalvullet tear her ass a new one." She spoke to the creature, though did not face it as its gaze followed her to a blank wall. With a heavy smack to the wall, a large space across it and the others around in the back room cut out a rectangular shape each - revolving to reveal red velvet comfortably housing an assortment of firearms. Not thinking much on the matter, she grabbed several different guns and a brown bag to the side. A black strap was found as well, settled quickly at her torso as Anesvullet Dragon transformed into a small blue light, then split into several streaks flowing into all of the weapons she picked out.

"There we go." Holle huffed, her primary bullet decided upon and coming out into the main room a few minutes later. "Alright shrimp, if you wanna take this outside, we can. And you, clean that up." The mercenary addressed Miro first, then commanded her new lackey.
Best Girl
Best Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next